A Brief History of Watersfield Cricket Club
In the aftermath of the First World War a local landowner, Captain Alban Head, donated land to the community for the improvement of sports and ‘general health’ of the local people. By 1930 Watersfield Cricket Club had begun, at first as a collection of friends of the Captain but later as a formally constituted club.
At first a small hand roller was the only wicket equipment but gradually over the generations a set of equipment has been established with clear areas for playing supported by the work of a part-time groundsman (paid for by the Parish Council). The same for the pavilion, originally merely a shed now a reasonable size wooden structure built in the 1960s with showers and sufficient changing, social and storage facilities. Although we have no bar locals remember pre-war matches where designated players were ‘requested’ to bring a barrel of beer on the handlebars of their bikes.
Our weekend Sunday cricket has always been based upon friendly matches against a range of clubs some local, and some touring sides.
The club always had a mixture of local players, and players from all around the area. We have consistently supplied players for larger and more famous clubs in the area.
Our ability over the years to provide the friendly environment and support to develop new talent has been important in sustaining our identity and our enjoyment of the game each weekend in the summer.
To develop the club we have formed a link in the last few years with our bigger neighbour at Pulborough whose colts and 3rd XL use our beautiful setting at the Alban Head Playing Fields.
We are part of the fabric of our community and involve ourselves in local events looking for continued local support to sustain us in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
Watersfield Cricket Club
5 Arun Vale
For our Fixture list, please click WCC 2017 Fixtures